BOOK IV. Ep. 78.
1 With lace bedizen'd comes the man,
2 And I must dine with lady Anne.
3 A silver service loads the board,
4 Of eatables a slender hoard.
5 "Your pride, and not your victuals spare;
6 "I came to dine, and not to stare.
About this text
Title (in Source Edition): BOOK IV. Ep. 78.
Author: John Hoadly
Themes: food; drink; money; wealth
Genres: epigram; imitation; translation; paraphrase
References: DMI 27753
Text view / Document view
The text has been typographically modernized, but without any silent modernization of spelling, capitalization, or punctuation. The source of the text is given and all editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. Based on the electronic text originally produced by the ECCO-TCP project, this ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 3.0.
Other works by John Hoadly
- The BIRD of PASSAGE, 1749. ()
- BOOK I. Ep. 11. ()
- BOOK I. Ep. 14. ()
- BOOK I. Ep. 40. ()
- BOOK III. Ep. 43. ()
- BOOK VII. Ep. 75. ()
- BOOK VIII. Ep. 35. ()
- BOOK XII. Ep 103. ()
- BOOK XII. Ep. 23. ()
- BOOK XII. Ep. 30. ()
- CHLOE resolved. A BALLAD. ()
- CHLOE'S unknown Likeness, 1738. ()
- The COUNTRY PARSON. ()
- EPILOGUE to SHAKESPEAR'S first Part of King HENRY IV. ACTED BY Young GENTLEMEN at Mr. NEWCOME'S School at HACKNEY, 1748; ()
- The INDOLENT. ()
- KAMBROMYOMAXIA: OR THE MOUSE-TRAP; Being a Translation of Mr. HOLDSWORTH'S MUSCIPULA, 1737. ()
- MARTIAL, Book IV. Ep. 87. ()
- On the Friendship of two young Ladies, 1730. ()
- PROLOGUE to COMUS, Perform'd for the Benefit of the General Hospital at BATH, 1756. ()
- To the Rev. Mr. J. S. 1731. ()
- VERSES said to be fixed on the Gate of the LOUVRE at PARIS. 1751. ()
- VERSES under the Prints of Mr. HOGARTH'S Rake's Progress, 1735. ()