1 AS Chloe on flowers reclin'd o'er the stream,
2 She sigh'd to the breeze, and made Colin her theme;
3 Tho' pleasant the stream, and tho' cooling the breeze,
4 And the flowers tho' fragrant, she panted for ease.
5 The stream it was fickle, and hasted away,
6 It kiss'd the sweet banks, but no longer cou'd stay;
7 Tho' beauteous inconstant, and faithless tho' fair,
8 Ah! Colin, look in, and behold thyself there.
9 The breeze that so sweet on its bosom did play,
10 Now rose to a tempest, and darken'd the day.
11 As sweet as the breeze, and as loud as the wind,
12 Such Colin when angry, and Colin when kind.
13 The flowers when gather'd, so beauteous and sweet,
14 Now fade on her bosom, and die at her feet;
15 So fair in their bloom, and so foul in decay,
16 Such Colin when present, and Colin away.
17 In rage and despair from the ground she arose,
18 And from her the flowers so faded she throws;
19 She weeps in the stream, and she sighs to the wind,
20 And resolves to drive Colin quite out of her mind.
21 But what her resolves when her Colin appear'd?
22 The stream it stood still, and no tempest was hear'd;
23 The flowers recover'd their beautiful hue:
24 She found he was kind, and believ'd he was true.
About this text
Title (in Source Edition): CHLOE resolved. A BALLAD.
Author: John Hoadly
Themes: sex; relations between the sexes; nature
Genres: ballad metre; song
References: DMI 27746
Text view / Document view
The text has been typographically modernized, but without any silent modernization of spelling, capitalization, or punctuation. The source of the text is given and all editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. Based on the electronic text originally produced by the ECCO-TCP project, this ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 3.0.
Other works by John Hoadly
- The BIRD of PASSAGE, 1749. ()
- BOOK I. Ep. 11. ()
- BOOK I. Ep. 14. ()
- BOOK I. Ep. 40. ()
- BOOK III. Ep. 43. ()
- BOOK IV. Ep. 78. ()
- BOOK VII. Ep. 75. ()
- BOOK VIII. Ep. 35. ()
- BOOK XII. Ep 103. ()
- BOOK XII. Ep. 23. ()
- BOOK XII. Ep. 30. ()
- CHLOE'S unknown Likeness, 1738. ()
- The COUNTRY PARSON. ()
- EPILOGUE to SHAKESPEAR'S first Part of King HENRY IV. ACTED BY Young GENTLEMEN at Mr. NEWCOME'S School at HACKNEY, 1748; ()
- The INDOLENT. ()
- KAMBROMYOMAXIA: OR THE MOUSE-TRAP; Being a Translation of Mr. HOLDSWORTH'S MUSCIPULA, 1737. ()
- MARTIAL, Book IV. Ep. 87. ()
- On the Friendship of two young Ladies, 1730. ()
- PROLOGUE to COMUS, Perform'd for the Benefit of the General Hospital at BATH, 1756. ()
- To the Rev. Mr. J. S. 1731. ()
- VERSES said to be fixed on the Gate of the LOUVRE at PARIS. 1751. ()
- VERSES under the Prints of Mr. HOGARTH'S Rake's Progress, 1735. ()