1 WHAT mortal burns not with the love of fame?
2 Some write, some fight, some eat themselves a name.
3 For some beau Frightful haunts each public place,
4 And grows conspicious for — his ugly face.[Page 63]
5 Laura, the rural circle's constant boast,
6 Sighs for the Mall, nor sleeps till she's a toast.
7 The priestling, proud of doctrine not his own,
8 Usurps a scarf, and longs to preach in town.
9 Ev'n Westley's saints, whose cant has fill'd the nation,
10 Toil more for fame, I trow, than reformation.
11 B —, tho' blest with learning, sense and wit,
12 Yet prides himself in never shewing it.
13 Safe in his cell, he shuns the staring crowd,
14 And inward shines, like Sol behind a cloud.
15 For fame let fops to distant regions roam,
16 Lo! here's the man — who never stirs from home!
17 That unseen wight, whom all men wish to see,
18 Illustrious grown — by mere obscurity.
About this text
Title (in Source Edition): The INVISIBLE.
Author: Richard Graves
Themes: retirement; fame
Genres: heroic couplet
References: DMI 27253
Text view / Document view
The text has been typographically modernized, but without any silent modernization of spelling, capitalization, or punctuation. The source of the text is given and all editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. Based on the electronic text originally produced by the ECCO-TCP project, this ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 3.0.
Other works by this author
- The CABINET. Or, Verses on Roman Medals. ()
- The HEROINES, or Modern Memoirs, ()
- AN INVITATION TO THE FEATHERED RACE, MDCCLXIII. WRITTEN AT CLAVERTON, NEAR BATH. ()
- ON THE ANCIENT CITY OF BATH. WRITTEN ON THE FINISHING THE CIRCUS. ()
- PANACEA: Or, The Grand RESTORATIVE. ()
- The PARTING. Written some Years after Marriage. ()
- The Pepper-box and Salt-seller. A FABLE. ()
- To Lady FANE on her Grotto at Basilden. 1746. ()
- UNDER AN HOUR-GLASS, IN A GROTTO NEAR THE WATER AT CLAVERTON. ()
- Written near BATH. 1755. ()