Written some Years after Marriage.
1 THE rising sun thro' all the grove
2 Diffus'd a gladsome ray:
3 My Lucy smil'd, and talk'd of love,
4 And every thing look'd gay.
5 But oh! the fatal hour was come
6 That forc'd me from my dear:
7 My Lucy then thro' grief was dumb,
8 Or spoke but by a tear.
9 Now far from her and bliss I roam,
10 All nature wears a change:
11 The azure sky seems wrapt in gloom,
12 And every place looks strange.
13 Those flow'ry fields, this verdant scene,
14 Yon larks that towering sing,
15 With sad contrast increase my spleen
16 And make me loath the spring.
17 My books that wont to sooth my mind
18 No longer now can please:
19 There only those amusement find
20 That have a mind at ease.
21 Nay life itself is tasteless grown
22 From Lucy whilst I stray:
23 Sick of the world I muse alone
24 And sigh the live-long day.
About this text
Title (in Source Edition): The PARTING. Written some Years after Marriage.
Author: Richard Graves
Themes: love; grief; sadness; melancholy
Genres: ballad metre; Chevy Chase stanza
References: DMI 26722
Text view / Document view
The text has been typographically modernized, but without any silent modernization of spelling, capitalization, or punctuation. The source of the text is given and all editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. Based on the electronic text originally produced by the ECCO-TCP project, this ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 3.0.
Other works by Richard Graves
- The CABINET. Or, Verses on Roman Medals. ()
- The HEROINES, or Modern Memoirs, ()
- The INVISIBLE. ()
- AN INVITATION TO THE FEATHERED RACE, MDCCLXIII. WRITTEN AT CLAVERTON, NEAR BATH. ()
- ON THE ANCIENT CITY OF BATH. WRITTEN ON THE FINISHING THE CIRCUS. ()
- PANACEA: Or, The Grand RESTORATIVE. ()
- The Pepper-box and Salt-seller. A FABLE. ()
- To Lady FANE on her Grotto at Basilden. 1746. ()
- UNDER AN HOUR-GLASS, IN A GROTTO NEAR THE WATER AT CLAVERTON. ()
- Written near BATH. 1755. ()