To the Author of the Farmer's Letters, which were written in IRELAND in the Year of the Rebellion, by HENRY BROOKE, Esq; 1745.
1 OH thou, whose artless, free-born genius charms,
2 Whose rustick zeal each patriot bosom warms;
3 Pursue the glorious task, the pleasing toil,
4 Forsake the fields and till a nobler soil;
5 Extend the Farmer's care to human kind,
6 Manure the heart, and cultivate the mind;
7 There plant religion, reason, freedom, truth,
8 And sow the seeds of virtue in our youth:[Page 237]
9 Let no rank weeds corrupt, or brambles choak,
10 And shake the vermin from the British oak;
11 From northern blasts protect the vernal bloom,
12 And guard our pastures from the wolves of Rome.
13 In Britain's liberty ingraft thy name,
14 And reap the harvest of immortal fame!
About this text
Title (in Source Edition): To the Author of the Farmer's Letters, which were written in IRELAND in the Year of the Rebellion, by HENRY BROOKE, Esq; 1745.
Author: David Garrick
Themes: politics; rural life
Genres: heroic couplet; address
References: DMI 22544
Text view / Document view
The text has been typographically modernized, but without any silent modernization of spelling, capitalization, or punctuation. The source of the text is given and all editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. Based on the electronic text originally produced by the ECCO-TCP project, this ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 3.0.
Other works by this author
- ADVICE to the Marquis of ROCKINGHAM, upon a late Occasion. Written in 1765, by an OLD COURTIER. ()
- DEATH and the DOCTOR. Occasioned by a Physician's lampooning a Friend of the AUTHOR. ()
- EPILOGUE. ()
- INSCRIPTIONS on a Monument to the Memory of a Lady's favourite Bullfinch. ()
- An ODE ON THE DEATH of Mr. PELHAM. ()
- PROLOGUE upon PROLOGUES. ()
- SONG. To SYLVIA. ()
- Upon a LADY'S EMBROIDERY. ()
- VERSES written in a Book called, Fables for the Female Sex. ()
- VERSES written in SYLVIA'S PRIOR. ()